Sunday, January 15, 2012

Long Run...

Well Off for another long run.  I got up this morning not motivated to go run at all.  I decided to go later in the day instead of meeting the girls ( Mistake #1 Early Morning Runs - so much better ) lesson one.  I was sitting in my warm chair, with my blanket on.  It is cold out side.  I did not want to get up go running, my house was warm.
My Son's Snowman
Come on look, the weather in Cleveland finally realized that it is January, and it is supposed to be cold.  After some convincing I got up to meet some friends.  Well the Blonde in my came out, because we missed each other, Oh well next time, it happens.  As I am getting ready to go run a lady walks up to my car.  She tells me that there is a guy on the lower trail that was following her, and even when she changed directions and started talking on the phone that he followed her.  She had called the ranger but wanted to let me know.  I texted my hubby exactly what I was going to run, grabbed my pepper spray (now I run all the time with it) and headed out.  I decided not to take the lower trail!
Heading out for my run
I decided for safety not to cross any of the main streets and to stay by the street.  I did not run with any music, and just took my time.  This is a course I knew well.  It is the course of my very first 5K.  At first there is a hill, and I took that easy.  It is approx 1 mile out and 1 mile back, so I knew that I would be doing that a second time.  I kept my eyes open and ran.  At one point there was an older gentlemen on the trail, as I was getting ready to pass him I get a strong cigar odor.  Of course he has to be heading up the hill so the entire way up the hill I am having a difficulty breathing because of the cigar smoke that is traveling back towards me.  After I pass him I start to feel better.

Of course because the rangers came to check out what the woman had told me, I saw them multiple times during my run, so that helped to make me feel safe.  The one got out of his car to look down towards the lower trail.  There was snow on the ground so it was slippery.  Yep he fell.  I tried not to laugh until I was far enough ahead of him.  He got up and smiled at me so I knew he was ok.  Other than that the run was uneventful.  I was able to keep my footing pretty good, so that was a good thing.  I ran a 11:41 pace and I am happy with that.

As soon as I got in the car a familiar pain came back.  Yep my shins started to hurt.  I could have cried.  The last time I had this pain, well I stopped running for a long time.  I texted Jodi who reminded me to stretch, Ice, and elevate it, which is exactly what I am doing right now.  I am going to take a anti-inflammatory before heading to bed.  She also asked when I got my shoes... and that is when I remembered - they are my marathon shoes, I need to replace them.  So off to Second Sole to get a new pair.  I got fitted for Asics.  I was also informed that Over-pronation when I run, so basically my arch goes flat and I need some more support.  I hope that these shoes help!  

Nothing scares me more than being benched because of shin splints.  Yes I realize that they are not that bad of injury to have as a runner.  However my motivation ran out the door last time I got these, and I don't want that to happen again.  So I am going to be proactive about it this time.  I have put it out to my runner friends to give me some ideas.  I am going to ice, and take care of myself.  I am going to fix this before it becomes a problem!

Suck It Up Cupcake and Move It!

1 comment:

  1. I only had shin splints once, which was in Jr. High track but back then they said to run on softer surfaces. Maybe some treadmill running would help, if you haven't tried that yet.

    I have another friend who had them and just took time off and the splints went away. So they seem very fickle!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...