Sunday, April 17, 2011

Glass City Marathon Report

This weekend was the Glass City Half Marathon.  I was excited and nervous at the same time.  This was the first half Marathon that I was going to run without Jodi, so that made me nervous.  Also coming off of an injury last weekend, and the Marathon less than a month away, I was not sure what would happen and I did not want to injure myself more. 

When I started out I chose not to go for a PR, rather I set a goal of finishing between 2:15 and 2:30.  I accomplished that.  My official time was 2:16:31.  At the expo I found some compression sleeves for my legs.  I was hoping that would do the trick with the shin splints and the calf pain.  I was right.  I had no pain at all this run.  I felt great.  I was happily surprised to see that my splits from mile 9 on were negative splits.  I have never done that before in a race.  Mile 9:  10:30; Mile 10:  10:24; Mile 11:  10:11; Mile 12:  10:04 and Mile 13:  9:48.  I was happy with this since that is when the wind started to kick in. 

When we got there this morning the line for the bathroom was so long.  I felt comfortable waiting since it was moving fast.  It was cold, and I am glad that I packed running clothes for all weather.  I did not wear my new Bondiband because I did not think it would be warm enough, but I should have, I would have been fine. 

I then headed to the start line.  The wind was terrible.  I wanted to cry, but I knew that once I started running I would feel good.  My first 2 miles were the slowest.  I planned on that, knowing I would have to dodge runners and walkers and find a pace to set myself into.  I then found a group of runners who were averaging a pace of 10:30 and decided to stick close by.  Just after mile 8 I broke away and started to find new groups of runners to pace myself with.  

On and off the wind would kick up, making running not so fun.  When I was running into the wind tunnel, I though I was moving backwards.  I was pleased to see that every one of my splits were under 11:00.  I was also pleased that I did not have any pain, I felt great the entire run.  I also did not bring my back pack, which I always do.  I relied on my running fuel that I bring with me, and the water stops.  That seemed to work out well.  

At the end I was coming up to the finish line, and heard GO JENN... My husband was right there.  He scared the crap out of me when he said that, I had my head down to break through the wind so I did not see him standing there.  I gave it all I had at the end.  It felt great to finish.  As we left the stadium to walk down where food was we got a beer mug, and they filled it up, how cool, LOL
Gotta love the hair can you tell its windy?
Better View of the Mug

This was a great race.  I think I liked it so much because it is my Husbands birthday.  What better way to celebrate then to run a Half Marathon!  I am excited and nervous about the upcoming weeks in preparation for the Marathon.  The one thing I learned today is that I can do it, and I will finish strong!!! 


  1. Why were you nervous? You have run longer distances without Jodi....
    And do you realize you seem to run faster WITHOUT Jodi? :-)
    We shall see during next weeks 10 miler (20 for you guys, but I'll join in on the last 10 :-)

    You have always known you can do it...Just need reminders every now and then....
    Great job today...

  2. Another blogger at Glasscity, I stumbled across your blog googling Glass City, Nice race!!! I was nervous as well for this race, and the cold and wind didnt help at all. 7 ohio bloggers decided to all come up and do this race as well, we are thinking of doing this again next year.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...